installing gnome with i386

I am having a problem with gnome when I install the i386 version of
debian linux. I have the latest version which is 2.2r3 and when I
install gnome, I get other window environments and I don't like it.
When I installed this, I took the "simple" method out and ever since
then, I get other environments like windowmaker and others. I tried not
installing any of the window environment but it installs windowmaker and
some other window environment. Can anyone help me how I can get to
regular gnome desktop?
All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bp