Re: debian directories in the gnome cvs

James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com> writes:

> I'm thinking this would be a bad idea, but at the same time the debian
> directories really need to be updated.  What do others think?

Well, I removed the "snapshot" support when I took over the gnome-objc
libraries.  I found it overly complex and confusing, and, given that
gnome has supposedly been released, rather unnecessary.  But without
snapshot support, there doesn't seem to be as much reason to include
the debian dir in the upstream.

OTOH, it bugs me to see rpm support there with no deb support.  Given
Debian's long-standing support for the Gnome project, and the fact
that the number of distributions that use the deb format has recently
tripled, I'd like to see Gnome support debs as well as rpms.

So, my feelings are mixed.  I think the best long-term solutions is to
give Debian maintainers write access to the Gnome CVS repository (or
at least to those portions they maintain), but I don't know what
issues may be involved with that.  My own long-term plan is to become
an official Gnome developer anyway, which may make the matter somewhat
moot in my case.

In the short term, I see no real reason to have my debian dir in the
Gnome CVS.  It's already stored in my own personal CVS repository.  :-)