Re: A new address of an APT source registered

>>>"Martin Bialasinski" wrote:
 >
  > * "WA" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
 >
 > WA> True. But you have to admit that since the original `release' of
 > WA> the slink GNOME packages a *lot* of bugfixes have been made in
 > WA> most GNOME packages.
 >
 > I can't really say, as in fact I don't even maintain a single GNOME
 > aware package, so maybe someone else can comment on this? I just
 > compiled a part of the slink update. Mostly there are only "New
 > upstream release" changelog entries. I don't have a script to compare
 > versions at hand, but from a quick look on some core packages, the
 > slink versions are at most one or two subsubversions behind the potato
 > ones (gnome-libs: 1.0.9 -> 1.0.10; gnome-panel, gnome-core: 1.0.5 ->
 > 1.0.7; gnome-control-center: same versions).
 >
 > WA> And I am getting reminded too often that our GNOME packages are
 > WA> much more buggy then the RPM's that are being distributed, which
 > WA> is not something I'm happy about.
 >
 > This is something I do not understand. There are no such reports on
 > debian-user or in this list (the instructions specifically request
 > problems to be reported here). And the list has been quiet for a
 > while. No reports from a maintainer about some buggy package from the
 > slink upgrade (thous requesting a fix) as well.

It's not the packaging or debian stuff that is buggy.  The gnome apps
had/have bugs.  So packaging a new version fixes a lot of bugs (check
http://bugs.gnome.org/)

 > In fact, the responses on debian-user are more of "I installed it, no
 > problems, works great". If a newer version is needed to fix bugs, then
 > it can be compiled (how is the project to make the day 25 hours long
 > doing? ;-), but I am not aware of such a case.

 > If you have mails with specific problems, please forward them to the
 > list. If we don't hear about bugs, we can't fix them.

Check the gnome-announce list.  Almost very announcement mentions fixes of
memory leaks and bugs.
The upstream maintainers are fixing the bugs so all that the debian
package maintainers have to do is to package it.  Isn't this an ideal
situation :)

Achim