Re: A couple of question about packaging policies

On 2023-11-03 22:50:22, Shengjing Zhu wrote:

Thanks for the very fast reply!

> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 10:43 PM Iustin Pop <iustin@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just joined the list - I'm not familiar with Go, but I'd like to package
> > some things and want to make sure I do the right thing.
> >
> > 1. What's the policy for packaging new things? All good as long as ITP
> > is filled, or should it be first raised on the list?
> >

> Most things are written on https://go-team.pages.debian.net/.
> The ITP template generated by dh-make-golang CC debian-devel@ and
> debian-go@ together.

Right, how to package is clear. My concern was - is there a strategy on
what to package, or just usual Debian rules?

e.g. should I try to find a 2nd uploader, or as long as team is in
Maintainer and I commit to "own" the package, all is good?

> > 2. What's the policy for backports? Would an email to the list here
> > suffice?
> >

> I think backports don't have any specific rules here.

Cool, good to know.

> > More specifically (not sure if it matters), my interest is in Prometheus
> > and related packages.
> >

> There is a #debian-prometheus channel on IRC.

I don't have usually time to be on IRC, but I'll drop by and ask there
as well, thanks for the hint!

iustin