Taking over an abandoned package

Hi,

The golang-vbom-util has been abandoned -- from
Arnaud said, "This library is not maintained. I wont package it."

However I do need to package it as it is a dependency of
github.com/google/go-containerregistry &
github.com/GoogleContainerTools/container-diff.

Is it appropriate for me to rename the
https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-vbom-util to
something, create a brand new dep14 based one, while keeping all Mr.
Arnaud Rebillout's previous valuable commits?

I.e. keep the following three from
https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-vbom-util/-/commits/master

* 8bf6b8b Close ITP (1 year, 10 months ago) <Arnaud Rebillout>
* 012f7f5 Exclude the command, as we only want to ship the library (1
year, 10 months ago) <Arnaud Rebillout>
* f28ef09 Initial packaging files (1 year, 10 months ago) <Arnaud Rebillout>

via `git apply` so all Mr. Arnaud Rebillout's previous valuable
commits will still be in the new repo.

The reason I ask is that, this is the only/easiest way I know.