Random name-resolution failures since glibc-2.1.94 upgrade?

Hello,

Since the introduction of glibc-2.1.94 into Woody I randomly get name-resolution failures. Not all applications seem to be affected equally, it seems that apt-get is having problems more often than other software but it's not limited to apt-get.

The problem appears to be completely random, and comes and goes. It occurs with both 2.2.x and 2.4.xtest kernels.

Name resolution never really fails for all sites; I might be perfectly able to resolve www.debian.org for instance, while totally unable to resolve ftp.uk.debian.org. And then after a while, perhaps ten minutes, perhaps more, sometimes less, it works again.

I have never seen this kind of problem until the glibc upgrade; name-resolution sometimes failes due to DNS weirdness of my provider but never in this way.

In case it's of any help, I attached ltrace and strace output for telnet.

Does anyone experience similar problems? Or have any clues as to what I can do to fix the problem or debug it?
I can't remember having seen any notices of it on the glibc-mailing list, but I'm not subscribed to it and don't follow it religiously.

Any help is appreciated!

regards,

--Tim