Re: large files

At 01:29 +0000 2000-03-02, ethan mindlace fremen wrote:
>I have kernel 2.3.47 installed on my potato box (libc6 2.1.3-5) in order
>to address files >2GB.  Matti Aarnio, author of the LFS patch, said
>(back around 2.3.27) that there were Libc "issues".
>
>Are these libc6 issues addressed? Can I safely compile a program (or use
>debs from potato) and assume it will be able to address a 20GB file?

The only issues that I'm aware of are that first, glibc needs to be
compiled with 2.3 headers (potato and woody (at present) glibc is compiled
with 2.2 headers) and second, that a new enough version of glibc must be
used (2.1.3 is sufficient).

Once you've built and installed such a libc, programs that have LFS support
will magically support 64-bit file offsets (that is if they were built
against glibc 2.1 in the first place).

You should be able to do `LINUX_SOURCE=/path/to/2.3/source
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b -uc' to build it.
Remember to place the libc6 package and friends on hold or apt-get will
want to replace them with the normal versions.
If you need any further help, let me know.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>