Re: Should I stay with QGIS 2.14?

On 2017-07-19 15:02, Erik Josefsson wrote:
Hello,

I would like to ask for help to decide if I should stay with QGIS 2.14
until QGIS 3.0 enters Debian Stable.

My advise is to stick to the QGIS LTS at all times on Debian stable.

This is my current /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib
non-free

The [QGIS instructions] tells me (if I understand them correctly) that
if I add the following two lines

deb       http://qgis.org/debian stretch main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian stretch main

or

deb       http://qgis.org/debian-nightly/ stretch main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian-nightly/ stretch main

then I can update from QGIS 2.14 (which I am currently using) to QGIS
2.18 or QGIS 2.99.

I do not recommend the use of the upstream QGIS packages, their expertise is developing QGIS, not packaging software for Debian.

You should instead add the stretch-backports sources and install the QGIS LTS packages maintained there, see:

 https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Has anyone here tried 2.18 or 2.99 this way? Did it work?

I've tried neither, but 2.18 should work and will become the new LTS when 3.0.0 is released in November, see:

http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule

And, most importantly, will my system be restored if I delete those two
lines after I have tried?

If you install the upstream qgis packages and remove the repository from the apt sources, you need to purge the qgis packages and install the ones from strech-backports.

Removing the apt sources for qgis.org will not restore your system, it will just leave the packages installed from that repository, until dependency conflicts force their removal.