Re: upgrade orfeotoolbox to 5.0

On 07/18/2015 01:37 AM, Rashad M wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/18/2015 01:09 AM, Rashad M wrote:
>>> One important thing even though a great deal of thirdparty sources are
>>> removed with the exception of 6S library (radiometry) and SIFT algorithm
>>> source. Indeed, these two sources can be excluded since OTB 5.0.0.
>>>
>>> I raised this point, because last time there was a discussion on the
>>> copyright of 6S code. We had given permission to use 6S code but it
>> lacks a
>>> proper OSI approved license. The original code is in fortran and we uses
>>> modified version (translated to C code).
>>
>> What the exact text of the permission that was given?
>>

> Sorry my bad. The problem was it doesn't have any license.  So I think only
> possibility is to remove it.

It doesn't have a license, but you got some kind of permission from the
authors, what is that permission exactly? It may be sufficient.

> I can remove these sources after importing from upstream right? the license
> issue will not be imposed for  the code in upstream and not the sources in
> pkg-grass/otb.git

Use Files-Excluded in the debian/copyright file to remove files from the
upstream sources, make sure to set the repacksuffix option in
debian/watch too.

Have a look at the gdal package for example:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/gdal.git/tree/debian/copyright
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/gdal.git/tree/debian/watch

>> Is it be possible to get an exception for these sources?
>>
>> If the custom license if DFSG compatible no exception is needed, if it's
>> not the files need to be removed or the package need to move to non-free.
>>
>>> However, easiest solution is to remove the sources and deactivate them
>>> during build (Radiometry and SIFT features will be disabled).  If an
>>> exception is possible with some sort of procedure/validation/review that
>>> can run in background as OTB 5.0 get ready for Debian.
>>

> But SIFT has GNU LGPL here -
> https://git.orfeo-toolbox.org/otb.git/blob/HEAD:/Modules/ThirdParty/SiftFast/src/LICENSE
>
> so that could be included.

That should be fine yes.