Re: upgrade orfeotoolbox to 5.0

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 07/18/2015 01:09 AM, Rashad M wrote:
> One important thing even though a great deal of thirdparty sources are
> removed with the exception of 6S library (radiometry) and SIFT algorithm
> source. Indeed, these two sources can be excluded since OTB 5.0.0.
>
> I raised this point, because last time there was a discussion on the
> copyright of 6S code. We had given permission to use 6S code but it lacks a
> proper OSI approved license. The original code is in fortran and we uses a
> modified version (translated to C code).

What the exact text of the permission that was given?

Sorry my bad. The problem was it doesn't have any license.  So I think only possibility is to remove it.

I can remove these sources after importing from upstream right? the license issue will not be imposed for  the code in upstream and not the sources in pkg-grass/otb.git

> Is it be possible to get an exception for these sources?

If the custom license if DFSG compatible no exception is needed, if it's
not the files need to be removed or the package need to move to non-free.

> However, easiest solution is to remove the sources and deactivate them
> during build (Radiometry and SIFT features will be disabled).  If an
> exception is possible with some sort of procedure/validation/review that
> can run in background as OTB 5.0 get ready for Debian.

But SIFT has GNU LGPL here - https://git.orfeo-toolbox.org/otb.git/blob/HEAD:/Modules/ThirdParty/SiftFast/src/LICENSE

so that could be included.

> http://6s.ltdri.org/

I don't find any license for the 6s upstream code, so I can't comment on
it further.

Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1