Re: upgrade orfeotoolbox to 5.0

One important thing even though a great deal of thirdparty sources are removed with the exception of 6S library (radiometry) and SIFT algorithm source. Indeed, these two sources can be excluded since OTB 5.0.0.

I raised this point, because last time there was a discussion on the copyright of 6S code. We had given permission to use 6S code but it lacks a proper OSI approved license. The original code is in fortran and we uses a modified version (translated to C code).

Is it be possible to get an exception for these sources?

However, easiest solution is to remove the sources and deactivate them during build (Radiometry and SIFT features will be disabled).  If an exception is possible with some sort of procedure/validation/review that can run in background as OTB 5.0 get ready for Debian.

http://6s.ltdri.org/

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Rashad M <mohammedrashadkm@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 07/17/2015 11:23 PM, Rashad M wrote:
> What will be the preferred way to update OTB to latest release 5.0 in
> DebianGIS[1] ?

Use git-buildpackage to import the new upstream release into the git
repo on Alioth:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/otb.git

> There has been a lot of work in OTB packaging done by Paolo and other for
> OTB 4.2. I would like to upgrade it to 5.0.0 if there isn't any blockers
> for it.  From list what I read was there was some issues with licensing
> which is to be resolved. But with 5.0 release a lot of these pain has
> lifted by developers. [2]

That's great news, thanks!

> So my question is where should I start to get OTB 5.0.0 into DebianGIS ?

Start with the packaging workflow as documented in the policy:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/

And specifically:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-new-upstream

Thanks Sebastiaan for quick reply!. I will get it started.

Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1