Re: osm2pgsql

On 04/30/2014 06:35 PM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 05:22:33PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>> https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/140
>>
>> You may want to add the spelling-error-in-manpage patch to your PR,
>> that's the only relevant change for upstream that I just pushed.
>
> I did.

Cool, thanks.

> Wouldn't it be easier for everybody if you just create an upstream pull request
> for those kind of non-essential changes? Even if it only gets picked up in the
> next upstream release and with that in the next Debian release, it seems to me
> much easier than creating this extra patch and remove that again later once it
> is in upstream. (And I wont be around every time to create that upstream pull
> request. :-)

Best practice is to forward the patch created to fix the issue in the
Debian package to upstream for inclusion in the next release. In this
you were much quicker to do that.

The PHP 5.6 patch for mapserver for instance was pushed upstream for
review and inclusion before the new package was uploaded. I even rebased
the commit to include the Forwarded and Applied-Upstream headers in the
patch. But because the next upstream release for MapServer is not
expected this week the patch is included in the package until then.

> Jochen

 GPG Key ID: 4096R/E88D4AF1