Re: [Ubuntu] Debian GIS Policy

> On Jan 3, 2014 6:06 PM, "Sebastiaan Couwenberg" <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> > On 01/03/2014 10:17 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > I added a paragraph to the Debian Med policy where I describe how
> > > derivatives are working together with Debian Med.  This is probably
> > > quite interesting to take over into Debian GIS because it is inviting
> > > to interested persons:
> > >
> > >    http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/community/website/docs/policy.xml?view=diff&r1=15713&r2=15719&diff_format=h
> > >
> > > which is rendered here
> > >
> > >    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#derivatives
> > >
> > > The goal is to strengthen the cooperation between people with the very
> > > same interest and help developers of derivatives to profit as best as
> > > possible from Debian GIS work.
> >
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer to the Debian Med Policy change.
> >
> > My intent for the "PPA for Ubuntu" paragraph in the proposed Debian GIS
> > team policy is to document the best practices for including packaging
> > for the UbuntuGIS PPAs in the Debian GIS git repositories.
> >
> > http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#ubuntugis-ppa
> >
> > How the Debian GIS git repository is structured for the distribution
> > specific branches is documented in the "Common Git repository
> > structures" paragraph.
> >
> > http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#git-repository-structures
> >
> > The Debian and Ubuntu branches can also be complemented by OSGeo-Live
> > specific branches named "osgeo/8.0" for instance.
> >
> > I've asked for feedback on the UbuntuGIS specifics in the proposed
> > Debian GIS team policy in the "Collaboration between UbuntuGIS & Debian
> > GIS and its proposed team policy" thread starting at:
> >
> > http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2013-December/000968.html
> >
> > The only feedback so far is a suggestion to split the general packaging
> > information into a separate page.
> >
> > Splitting the packaging best practices from the policy document is not
> > an option, since documenting how to package for Debian GIS is it primary
> > purpose.

Sebastian, you did very good job by writing that policy document. I agree with tools you are using, branch naming. What I miss there is more detailed pbuilder/cowbuilder creation procedure. This is where I am always not sure which way is best. Would you please add procedure you propose?
Also I would not recommend using svn at all.