Re: Packages maintained by Debian GIS but not mentioned in metapackages

[Petter in CC - I think you originally invented the metapackages layout]

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 06:30:33PM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Il 17/03/2013 11:28, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
> >> I would try to use some kind of "map-server" task (not to be
> >> confused with the mapserver package though).
> >>
> >> This would included (though not all of these are packaged for
> >> Debian yet): tilecache tilelite tilestache
> >
> > Fine.
> >
> >> mapserver
> >
> > You mean binary package 'mapserver-bin' ?
> >
> >> geoserver
> >
> > What exact package do you mean - I can not find some binary package
> > name to match this.
>
> Please also add qgis-mapserver.

I'd be fine in doing so but after having a second look at the task
currently named gis-web[1] I think the intention when creating this task
was to provide some map-server functionality.  I admit I personally
consider the choice of the name "web" as suboptimal (at best) but we
need to consider the fact that if we try to get out a set of
metapackages for Wheezy we have no chance any more to rename any
existing metapackage.  The only chance we might have is to inject
additional tasks and if you think that we should provide gis-map-server
we could try to give gis-web some better meaning (perhaps by providing
JS files or whatever.)

Would you agree under this circumstances to keep the name gis-web and
put all those map-server related packages mentioned in this thread into
web or do you have a suggestion how to turn the content in gis-web into
something that makes sense and inventing the new task gis-map-server?

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks/web

--