Re: Packages maintained by Debian GIS but not mentioned in metapackages

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your interesting hints.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 09:56:04AM +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> On 15/03/13 00:43, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >  tilecache  - a web map tile caching system
> >  tilelite   - lightweight Mapnik tile-server
> >  tilestache - map tiles caching system
> >    --> osm (but with a very bad feeling here - it rather belongs to some
> >             not yet existing task osm-server IMHO)
>
> I would be hesitant at calling these osm-server tasks. They are web map
> tile servers. They serve all kinds of maps, not just maps using OSM data.

OK, very interesting point.

> I would try to use some kind of "map-server" task (not to be confused
> with the mapserver package though).
>
> This would included (though not all of these are packaged for Debian yet):
> tilecache
> tilelite
> tilestache

Fine.

> mapserver

You mean binary package 'mapserver-bin' ?

> geoserver

What exact package do you mean - I can not find some binary package name
to match this.

> twms

OK

> tirex
> renderd
> mod_tile

What exact packages do you mean - I can not find binary packages matching
these names in the Debian package pool.

> I'm not too up to speed to blends or tasks so I'm not sure how
> appropriate this suggestion is.

You mention binary package names a metapackage should depend from to
prepare a machine with all things you need to serve a certain purpose
(task).

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--