Re: Packaging policy for shapefiles

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 01:30:56PM -0800, Hamish wrote:
> see also the gmt-coast-low package which installs a script to download a
> hi-res coastline from the internet. (which I would
> propose to just package as gmt-coast-full or so
> these days as disk space is cheap and the GSHHS
> dataset size has remained more or less static)

Indeed the reduced dataset has been introduced long years ago and
currently the script is exposed to possible failures due to
mirror disappearing or changes in paths. A full dataset AND a
grabbing script for updates would be possibly more useful. Alioth
could be used as a stable repository for metainformation about
the upstream repositories and allow the script to work.

That applies to other data of course.