Re: Packaging policy for shapefiles

On 01/12/2012 04:31 AM, David Paleino wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:51:41 +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

>> Once upon a time... someone proposed data.debian.org for packaging such kind
>> of information. Still in a limbo AFAIK. That said, I see no problems in
>> packaging relevant data (but what about size ?).
>
> Do you mean archive-size, or installed-size? If the latter, I see no problems:
> the only overhead would be the Debian-specific files (copyright,
> changelog.Debian, and so on). If you meant archive-size, those are usually
> arch:all packages, and I'm not aware of any "size policy" for data packages.
> Just think at those *-data for games :)

What would be nice about data.debian.org (or similar) would be that the
data files could be volatile - i.e. not tied to a specific release
throughout the release cycle.  But I realize that that's beyond the
scope of what you're asking about here.  I'm happy to see these
shapefiles being packaged.

Cheers,
tony