Re: [DebianGIS] Putting libgis into Debian GIS tasks (Was: RFS: libgis - virtual globe library)

On 2010-11-18 18:52, Hamish wrote:
> <with emphasis>
>   --> please pick a less generic name for the package/library!
> </>
>
> the namespace collision will cause problems. fwiw GRASS has now
> renamed its main library from that to libgrass_gis.so a couple of
> releases ago, anticipating such a thing could happen, but I'm not sure
> what is still out there and would rather not have to deal with the
> consequences of someone's ./configure trying to link to the wrong one.
>
> please, please..

After much consideration, I've decided to rename "libgis" to "grits"
(libgrits0 in Debian speak). Not only are grits tastier and easier to
pronounce, but they are also unheard of in Contents-i386 and on all the
major software websites that I checked.

I'll plan on starting the sed party tomorrow night.

Hopefully this will make things easier going forward.