Re: [DebianGIS] [Live-demo] Revitalising UbuntuGIS

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 03:58:54PM -0500, Alan Boudreault wrote:
> I agree with you. I talked to Jachym and i think it's already in his
> mind to merge his work with UbuntuGIS. I don't know about the Qgis
> maintainer but i hope he will agree too.
>
> I'm wondering if we could do something that will regroup all Debian-GIS
> and UbuntuGIS maintainers. I mean ... to not duplicate efforts. Like
> Cameron said: Debian packages and Ubuntu packages are very similar. I
> know that there are some minor "updates" to do to migrate a ubuntu
> package to a debian package (and vice-versa) but i think that we could
> do something good. What do you think?

But for some specific minor changes with dependencies, most of the efforts
at ubuntu level is about rebuilding properly and ensuring that most packages
are in good shape at releasing time, which could be not always the case.
Partecipating to this list (pkg-grass-general) would help.

There is a good bounce of packages
which are still neither in debian nor ubuntu currently and having some packaging
efforts about them could be nice for both groups. Someone could also say that
working in debian would anyway propagate results into ubuntu, but I know that people
would prefer using their own environment instead. Question of taste...