Re: [DebianGIS] [DebianGIS-dev] r1804 - packages/grass/branches/6.4/debian/patches

Hamish:
> I mean the default pager as set by the Debian-install is `less` (which
> the vast majority of debian users have not changed), not any default
> value the user has set themselves by changing /etc/alternatives/.

.... as we've gotten numerous complaints from new (non unix) users who run
g.list and then a) don't realize they are put into a `less` environment,
and b) have no idea how to get out. With `more` you just have to bash
the keyboard to get back to the command prompt. With `less` you must
specifically find the `q` key. Simple if you know; not if you don't.

> > Also, it can be easily overriden at grass level by setting the
> > appropriate env var instead of the default alternative.
>
> yes, this is what I do to circumvent this patch, and what I
> suggest to note in README.Debian.

.... rather than changing my /etc/alternatives/pager. In general I
prefer `less`, but for g.list it is not very appropriate.

I hope that explains my position; no intention of rehashing an old thread.

Hamish