Re: [DebianGIS] Fw: Re: [Proj] NAD27 and WGS84 woes

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 02:37:25AM -0800, Hamish wrote:
> > Hamish wrote:
> > > fwd from the PROJ4 ML re. a "proj-data" package; the datum distortion
> > > grid data files can be found here:
> > >   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj-datumgrid-1.4.tar.gz
>
> Francesco P. Lovergine  wrote:
> > But for technical relevance of providing the datum shits at compile time,
> > someone should be able to provide licesing information about that beast.
>
> sure,
>
> > There are a couple of blobs there too, whose origin and format are not
> > clear. I doubt a proj-data could be releasable as is in main.
> > Pre-depending on that is out of discussion for plain proj4. I would
> > avoid a battle against ftpmasters for such a thing.
>
> I don't think it is too hard to collect that info for the 15 data files:
>
> * 12 are (AFAIK) US gov't sourced, and so without copyright.
> * I don't know about the Canadian Grid file, presumably Frank (.ca) does.
> * Permission for the French data is described by Richard Didier, chef du
>   pôle technique Géoportail pour l'IGN, in this thread:
>   http://www.nabble.com/proj-datumgrid-1.4-issued-td18581042.html
> * and I hold the clearance "paperwork" for the NZ grid file from LINZ.
>

> Hamish:
> > > so the proj package would need to build-depends on proj-data; I've no
> > > idea of the consequences of the grid files being missing at
> > > run time if only the proj package is installed on the user's
> > > system.
> > >
> > > Also, I don't know if it is relevant, but ISTR that GRASS processes
> > > the ascii files to binary in an endian sensitive way.
>

> regards,
> Hamish

Note that ftpmasters are not gis-data experts, they NEED to see for
every single file a copyright document and a complete reference
for public domain data. This is a quite annoying task. And still
you did not point about the blobs. What is the 'preferred way of editing'
them? What are they 'sources'?