[DebianGIS] GMTHOME in GMT?

Hi,

I am on etch trying to run gmtinfo on a GMT .grd downloaded from
  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html

$ gmtinfo ETOPO1_Bed_g.grd
gmtmggpath_init: Environment variable GMTHOME not set!

   # guess it
$ export GMTHOME=/usr/share/gmt
$ gmtinfo ETOPO1_Bed_g.grd
GMT Warning: path file /usr/share/gmt/share/mgg/gmtfile_paths for *.gmt
files not found (Will only look in current directory for such files)
gmtinfo : Cannot find leg ETOPO1_Bed_g.grd
usage: gmtinfo leg(s)

Running gmtinfo from /usr/share/gmt/mgg/ gives the same error.

any ideas on how to work around this? is it fixed in lenny?

I could only find an Ubuntu bug report stating the obvious that the dir
structure had been rearranged in the deb packages.

thanks,
Hamish