Re: [DebianGIS] Should osgeo4w be included in the FOSS4G2008 live CD?

> > Cameron Shorter wrote:
> >> If we have space on the LiveCD, should we include osgeo4w on it?
Hamish:

Cameron wrote:
> 1. Is the software linked below stable and production ready now, with
> no testing required?

Yes.
(cc to William & Marco for their thoughts)

> 2. How much space does it take up? (I'm not sure how much space we have
> left on the image. One of the techies might be able to answer this)

(William/Marco?)

grass win32 native ver6.3.0- 44MB
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native/
  ("experimental", but we are highly conservative in our rating)

qgis win32 native ver0.11.0-2 - 74MB
  http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/win32/

FWtools win32 ver2.2.6 - smallish (<30MB?)
  http://fwtools.maptools.org/

> 3. Are you prepared to add the packages yourself,

No idea how to do that, but I'd be happy to as long as I am not required
to download 1.5gb .. my internet connection down here strongly resembles
a wet piece of string.

> and write any readme.html files or similar before Friday?

easy.

> If so, then we might be able to get it on the disk. But as I don't have
> experience with these tools I'd be hesitant to include them (because of
> our short timeline) without hearing a strong chorus of support from
> existing packaging techies.

I would have no hesitation in including FWTools, native GRASS and QGIS
packages for MS-Windows by Marco, and William's packages for the Mac. I
think it would be a crying shame for them not to be there actually.

Again, I am asking for nothing more that a directory on it like

/installers/windows/*.exe
/installers/macosx/*.dmg
/installers/readme.html

To be honest I don't spend much time on the Mac and even less with MS
but I have been in the direct line of fire for feedback for a long time,
and the recent feedback has been very good.

Hamish