Re: [DebianGIS] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G LiveCD

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> We had a very productive IRC discussion today and have a plan to merge
> existing Live CD efforts into one for a FOSS4G 2008 release
> (in 2 weeks).
>
> Details are being collated here:
>
> Logs of the discussion here:
> http://logs.qgis.org/osgeo/%23osgeo.2008-09-11.log
>
> Future discussion will happen on the debian gis email list:
>

> Debian GIS list,
> I hope you don't mind us gate crashing your list.
> I'm hoping our LiveCD discussion (based on xubuntu)
> will be helpful for members of this list too.

Hi,

The plan sounds good.

I'd suggest using Omniverdi packages for GRASS 6.3.0 and QGIS 0.11 which are not in Debian yet, and the newest debian packages for GDAL and PROJ4.
Maybe that means recompiling GRASS and QGIS packages from package sources.
(GRASS 6.3.0 packaging files are in DebianGIS svn, QGIS debian packaging files are in QGIS svn IIRC). and don't forget GMT!
list of DebianGIS packages:
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/PackageList

liveDVD leaves room for spatial data would be great -- e.g. the OSM Postgre DB dump, North Carolina free dataset (both GRASS and original format versions), Spearfish SD, some LIDAR data, NASA Blue Marble images,
and the latest 1' Global Topo/Bathy and SRTM+ maps from
  http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/mar_topo.html

The New Zealand national LINZ dataset is available with-attribution as
previously discussed on the OSGeo Aust-NZ & OSM lists.

see also these links:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/download/cdrom.php

I support the use of xubuntu for this project, but as this is the
DebianGIS list I'd mention that Debian Live CD/DVDs are now a reality
since the last few weeks.
  http://www.debian.org/News/project/2008/10/

regards,
Hamish