Re: [DebianGIS] Greetings and Ideas

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:02:42AM -0400, David Campbell wrote:
> I am coming from the UbuntuGIS community which I have been told does not
> actually exist. I want to help improve the GIS environment for
> Ubuntu(and everyone else) because from my experience using ArcGIS I have
> found GIS is an insanely powerful tool for solving all sorts of problems
> and the world seems to have enough of them. ArcGIS is of course not
> freeware or open source which why I am now attempting to give myself a
> crash course on alternatives(any leads for knowledge much appreciated).
>
> I had the idea of working on an Ubuntu distro, app package, or just to
> help get more applications into the next Debian release for the benefit
> of anyone with computer labs or other machines dedicated to GIS and
> problem solving with GIS.
>
> I really like the idea of software anyone can use which would support a
> project analyzing and making obvious the distribution and flow of
> resources on a global scale. Maybe people could even use results of such
> a project to help them make important decisions.
>
> Let me know what you think, where I can best focus my energy, or
> anything else that may be helpful.

I would start from here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis

But for packaging activities people here are quite involved in QA
for GIS packages in Debian, also reporting upstream issues,
which is quite more than the pure build-a-package-and-go task.
More people use and test them, more high-quality they are.
If you are not involved as I think into packaging just now,
I would lead you to the New Maintainer's Guide and other general
documentation:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.debian.org/devel/