Re: [DebianGIS] Greetings and Ideas

[David Campbell]
> Let me know what you think, where I can best focus my energy, or
> anything else that may be helpful.

Welcome. :)

Did you look at qgis?  It it a great and powerful GIS tool, but was
removed from Debian a few months ago because the Debian GIS team is
lacking man-power and was unable to maintain it properly.  The active
GIS team consist of roughly two people, with a few others like me
hanging around and helping out when we are able to find a spare minute
to spend.  I would find it great if you was able to spend enough time
on it to get it back into Debian. :)

I assume you found the subproject wiki,
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis>.  There are a lot of packages
to get into Debian, and the ones we already got in Debian need more
work to improve their quality.  Recently, the SUN Java packages
entered Debian/main, and thus we can start to upload Java based GIS
tools into Debian using this.

A year ago I worked a bit on a Debian GIS live CD, to demonstrate the
tools available then.  It could use some refreshing to get the latest
improvements. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen