[DebianGIS] Greetings and Ideas

I am coming from the UbuntuGIS community which I have been told does not
actually exist. I want to help improve the GIS environment for
Ubuntu(and everyone else) because from my experience using ArcGIS I have
found GIS is an insanely powerful tool for solving all sorts of problems
and the world seems to have enough of them. ArcGIS is of course not
freeware or open source which why I am now attempting to give myself a
crash course on alternatives(any leads for knowledge much appreciated).

I had the idea of working on an Ubuntu distro, app package, or just to
help get more applications into the next Debian release for the benefit
of anyone with computer labs or other machines dedicated to GIS and
problem solving with GIS.

I really like the idea of software anyone can use which would support a
project analyzing and making obvious the distribution and flow of
resources on a global scale. Maybe people could even use results of such
a project to help them make important decisions.

Let me know what you think, where I can best focus my energy, or
anything else that may be helpful.

-David Campbell