Re: [DebianGIS] Problem with mapserver and libgdal on Debian sid

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:42:08PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 08:26:47AM +0200, Robert Walter wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > on  a Debian  sid I  have installed  the UMN-Mapserver  version 5.0.3.
> > Since  last week  the  mapserver  don't creates  any  maps.  I get  an
> > "Internal Server Error".
> >
> > The Apache error.log says: "Premature end of script headers: mapserv"
> >
> > In   Debian  syslog   I   get  an   error:  "mapserv[5162]:   segfault
> > at    bf648ffc    ip    b785d206    sp    bf649000    error    6    in
> > libgdal1.5.0.so.1.12.2[b776d000+4dd000]"
> >
> > When I run shp2img with some parameter, I get a "Segmentation fault".
> >
> > The  gdal library  is obviously  damaged. Here  are a  few information
> > about mapserver an libgdal:
> >

> I can confirm this error with both gdal 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 and
> mapserver 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 on i686.
> The mapserver tutorial can be used for replicate the error in a very
> simple way, and it segfaults apparently in calling sincos().

As one would expect, this is a nice side-effect of GCC 4.3 building.
Mapserver seems exploited by 4.3 and the breakage is not connected
to GDAL. As always in case of memory smashing Heizenbug principle
applies apparently. I'm still able of getting a working mapserver
by building with 4.2 of course. Now guess what? Trying without
optimization GCC 4.3 again :-)