Re: [DebianGIS] Fw: [Quantum GIS] #1028: Debian package on life support

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:50:20PM -0700, Hamish wrote:

> >  any guidance on how we should sync DebianGIS's svn[1]
> > with QGIS's[2]?
> >
> >  [1]
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-grass/packages/qgis/trunk/debian/
> >
> >  [2]
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/trunk/qgis/debian/
> >
> >  maybe we could automatically pull one from the other using
> > svn:externals?
> >
> > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.externals.html
> >
> >  or is it desired to keep them separate? Perhaps trunk/
> > could be pulled
> >  into DebianGIS's svn automatically but for releases we
> > copy the files and then sync things by hand?
> >  ?

The debian tree needs for sure to be branched if one needs
to maintain an up-to-date tree (with additional build-deps and so on)
for the upstream trunk. Also someone should define the target
distribution for the branch. DebianGis development happens in sid
that could not be adequate for all.

BTW, on the basis of the recent announce by RMs and the known
long times for building the whole dependency chain of Qgis
I'm quite sure that we will live without Qgis in Lenny.
IMHO it will be a beast for BPO after release, because
its current development roadmap is too fast to have a
decently stable product in Lenny within the announced
freezing times.

This is my 2c...