Re: [DebianGIS] current state

Defining priorities is not an easy task. We could set up a voting
system, but I'm not sure this would be a good idea.
These are my thoughts:

- - there is a number of desktop and analysis GIS that are comparativeley
little used, regardless of their merits, and this partly because they
are not packaged. Therefore, packaging them will widen up our
perspectives, and give more tools. These are (besides ossim):
OpenEV
TerraView
uDig
gvSIG
I do not know them well enough to make my suggestion; anybody have
deeper experience?

- - then there are specialized applications, that solve specific (in my
view important) problems:
PostLBS for routing with postgis
MapStorer for managing mapserver projects
OpenModeller for ecological niche analyses (I'm a zoologist after all!)
The effort here is justified if there is not too much work, and/or if
someone is especially interested (sponsoring a first packaging effort
could be an option here)

- - finally there is the 3D world, a bit obscure to me; I know Paraview is
being somewhat integrated with grass, so it is an obvious candidate;
I've also used Visual Terrain Project, and I've found it rather
impressive. 3D experts recommended it to me as the best FOSS for this.
Again, suggestions from power users would be welcome.

All the best.
pc

Francesco P. Lovergine ha scritto:
>> OpenEV
>> TerraView
>> uDig
>> gvSIG
>> PostLBS
>> MapStorer
>> ParaView
>> Visual Terrain Project
>> On some of them work has started, some appear simple to package.
>> Feedback would be welcome on this.
>>

> Defining some priorities about those programs would be nice, and
> also analysing some common pre-requisites (such as the geotiff above)

- --
Paolo Cavallini
http://www.faunalia.it/pc