Re: [DebianGIS] libgdal renaming

Hi!

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:07:48PM -0800, Jon Saints wrote:
> Ok its fixed. I didnt have the ../gdal_1.3.1.orig.tar.gz in the right
> place. That was the problem.
>
>  now Lintian says only:
>  E: libgdal1-1.3.1-dev: lengthy-symlink usr/include/gdal ../include
>  W: libgdal1-1.3.1: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libgdal1

Seeing this warning I have rethought our decission. I think it doesn't
make any sense to have a new package name while the soname still is the
same. The only reason to have different names is to have different
versions of the same library concurrently on the system - which is not
possible when they have conflicting files.

Sorry, to begin this discussion again :-|

I would vote to stick to our decission about the package name but adapt
the soname of libgdal to have an minor and subversion, so that the full
soname is 1.3.1 instead of 1. This will have the advantage that there
isn't any need to rebuild qgis or other package just because a new gdal
version is present since its concurrent installation on the same system
is possible.

It requires though that Frank changes the soname each time he releases a
new gdal version - which isn't too difficult I think. So we need some
feedback from you, Frank.

>  Also, using the GDAL from CVS on Alioth I was able to build and
> install gdal and libgdal on a box with a clean install of Debian
> experimental.

I couldn't approve that gdal is building on sid since unixodbc-dev is
not installable at the moment. Without odbc it is building correctly
though.

>  With the testing and approval of a few others, I think we are ready
> to go with this.

If you vote against my suggesion (see above) I think you could upload it
now.

Greetings,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/