[DebianGIS] Re: Summary about libgdal issue for ftp-masters, please contribute and do not break the thread

[Francesco Paolo Lovergine]
> AFAIK, we are going to release a libgdal1.3.1 package (maybe
> libgdal1.3 could be more appropriate ?)
> to superseed the current sid libgdal due to changes in C++ API. As
> stated by upstream, C++ interface is far from being stabilized and
> currently break things at every new release. The C API is stable, so
> the SONAME do not change. Unfortunately a few packages depends on
> the C++ interfaces, so we need to keep in sync things at source
> level among them, which is suboptimal, but better than having
> programs faulting at every new release of the libgdal program.

Do we know which packages uses the C++ interface?  Would it be
possible to move the C API wrappers into a separate library, and keep
that ABI stable while the ABI and SONAME for the C++ library changes
for every upload?

Splitting the C and C++ library into separate packages would make it
easier to track which packages need a rebuild every time gdal changes
too.