Re: [DebianGIS] Re: Re: GIS tools missing in Debian?

F.Sluiter ha scritto:
Hi,

[Petter]

Right, so the next release of debian (etch) will hopefully have all
the tools you would have needed.  That is good to know.

Yes, I think so too. Except that the packaging proces of debian tends
to be slower then other distributions (mostly because all packages are
rigourlesly tested before they are labelled stable, which is a very
good thing). But as Frank pointed out: customers need functionality
and are not allways willing to wait for the next stable release.

Many people uses backporting, i.e., they recompile packages from testing in stable. Sometimes the backport is easy, sometimes it is very hard. I think the only good solution for this problem is asking the maintainer do the backport.

Some Debian action are somewhat slow, as you pointed out. I uploaded a new version of postgis (fixing the debian native problem) on the 15th December and it is still sitting in NEW with the previous upload. I wonder if it could be good to have binary packages for i386, amd64 and powerpc available in the meantime. I could create an apt repository somewhere for the unstable, testing and probably stable distribution.

Bye,
Giuseppe