Re: [DebianGIS] Re: GIS tools missing in Debian? (Was: gdal)

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:30:49PM +0100, F.Sluiter wrote:
> >[F.Sluiter]
> >> As a side effect of gis availability on debian, allthough I
> >> protested vehemently, my production environment will be fedora
> >[Petter]
> >What GIS tools are you using, and which of them are missing in Debian?
> >[Francesco]
> >DO NOT USE TESTING OR SID if you need a stable environment.
> As Francesco points out,a production server has to, by definition, use
> stable only.
>
> The decission was made a while ago, when not all gispackages were in stable yet.
> It now would hang for example on postgresql (in stable still 7.4, we
> need 8), postgis (still unavailable, allthough easily compiled) and
> php5, two of which are beyond the control of this list.

Bad point:

http://backports.org/package.php?search=postgres
http://backports.org/package.php?search=php5

Postgis can be easily backported too. We only need someone (but for me
who already do that for grass) who would compile the whole chain
in a sane sarge environment. And possibly support the whole up-to-date
archive of useful programs in sarge. We also have a specific repository
for that.

> Debian also lacks an important feature of Fedora: you can not sent a
> check somewhere to obtain a license. For that silly reason all
> customers of our service provider (university compute center:
> http://www.sara.nl/aboutsara/aboutsara_pr_eng.html) ask for Fedora,
> and providing debian would cause extra work for them (for instance
> maintaining several versions of backup solutions).

That's unavoidable. There is a long list of consultants and firms
which provide debian-based services. See
http://www.us.debian.org/consultants/
They will be happy to accept your cheques :)