Re: [DebianGIS] postgis debian packaging

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:42:21AM +0100, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 06/12/2005 alle 05.25 +0200, alex bodnaru ha scritto:
> [...]
> > in my opinion, debian stability is been defended here without a good reason.
> > now i really understand, that i should not have waivered debian-gis
> > uploading, in a wait to main debian acceptance.
> > i'm asking your permission to upload the postgis0 and postgis1 packages
> > here, while waiting debian acceptance, which will likely come after
> > postgis-1.1 will be the current release ;-) .
>
> Hi Alex,
> I agree with you that an upload to Alioth is something really fast
> compared to an upload to the Debian archive, moreover it has been a long
> time we had the last upload; but I do not understand if you are dropping
> your interest in supporting postgis for Debian or if you plan to work
> mainly on a package for Debian after having uploaded the actual packages
> to Alioth.

BTW, did you consider implications due to supporting multi-versions of
any packages? I'm not following too deeply development of postgresql and its
children, but I suppose etch will be released with version 8 only
and admins will have to migrate by hand from 7 series. I don't see
any reason to release multiple instances of postgis which could cause
a true nightmare for security team after freezing... Would you please
clarify if all postgis series will be upstream-supported? What's their
roadmaps?