[DebianGIS] postgis debian packaging

hi friends,

there are problems with acceptance of package postgis in debian unstable.

the problem is not of conflicts, functionallity or portability: those
have been checked by you and others, and my sponsor giuseppe has also
tested the packages on machines other than i386.

debian ftpmasters rejected postgis because they suspect a change in name
(from postgis to postgis1) has been made to bypass the old postgis
package, still in unstable.

it's true, should postgis1 have been submitted together with postgis0
(which i've made to support postgis-0.9.x, still supported and upgraded
upstream), ftpmasters could easier understand the issue.

in the spirit of postgresql maintaining, which provide debian users the
wonderful multiclustering architecture, i also wish to provide you
support for all major and current postgis releases.
thus, nothing should be more natural than appending the major version to
the package name, so that we won't drop support for postgis-1.x when
postgis-2.x will emerge. i just want to remind you, that forced upgrades
are native to current monopolist, money avid, corporations.

anyway, for my responsibility to the users of unstable postgis, i will
make an update package, that will pull in the newer packages. this is
required, because of the major change in the postgresql configuration.
but the new packages should first exist for this to happen.

in my opinion, debian stability is been defended here without a good reason.
now i really understand, that i should not have waivered debian-gis
uploading, in a wait to main debian acceptance.
i'm asking your permission to upload the postgis0 and postgis1 packages
here, while waiting debian acceptance, which will likely come after
postgis-1.1 will be the current release ;-) .

yours,

alex