Re: [Pkg-grass-general] testing debiangis

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:32:57AM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> Those are mostly using 'xterm -e ....'. As Glynn has pointed out before
> (I believe), the problem with changing that to $TERM is that usage of
> the "-e" flag is not standardized throughout all shells. We'd have to
> maintain a database of terms and execute commands.. we already sort of
> do that with web browsers for the help system, maybe it wouldn't be too
> bad. In what cases would xterm not be installed? and what would be there
> to replace it? (I'm talking about functionality, not preference of term)
> Embedded/handheld distributions?

We already have x-terminal-emulator alternative for that. It has the
advantage of respecting least-surprise rule for users. The -e arg
is probably the widest diffused convention among x-terminals, it
is used in every xterm-derived terminal (e.g. rxvt or wterm), gnome-terminal
and so on. Of course AFAIK.