Re: [Pkg-grass-general] DebianGIS archive on alioth

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Silke Reimer wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> first of all thanks to Francesco for setting up the archive! This
> will surely become very useful for all of us. Currently I have no
> time but I will upload gdal-grass within the next days so that it
> should be rather easy to install qgis with grass support in a few
> days.
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:21:55PM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> >
> > Would it be feasible to put also the cvs date?
> > E.g.:
> > scribus (1.2.0.final+cvs20041026-1)
> > This would make it easier to test whether eventual problem should be tracked
> > down to packaging or to known bugs in the cvs version.
>
> In my opinion the CVS date should only be added to the version
> number when it is not a stable version.

Cvs and date tagging can be used as part of the upstream version, as usual.
Currently the ~ char can be used for pre-releases (it will be a post-sarge
feature - to avoid breaking woody upgrades - but already available
in current sarge dpkg) So something like 1.2.0~pre20041026-1
will be feasable to avoid epochs when 1.2.0-1 becomes available.
But that's secondary. We have to follow a decent conventions for
debian versioning, not for upstream one.