Re: [Pkg-grass-general] DebianGIS archive on alioth

Hi everybody,

first of all thanks to Francesco for setting up the archive! This
will surely become very useful for all of us. Currently I have no
time but I will upload gdal-grass within the next days so that it
should be rather easy to install qgis with grass support in a few
days.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:21:55PM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Would it be feasible to put also the cvs date?
> E.g.:
> scribus (1.2.0.final+cvs20041026-1)
> This would make it easier to test whether eventual problem should be tracked
> down to packaging or to known bugs in the cvs version.

In my opinion the CVS date should only be added to the version
number when it is not a stable version.

> All the best.
> pc
>
> At 16:02, mercoledì 15 dicembre 2004, Francesco P. Lovergine has probably
> written:
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > > Also, the archive is currently sadly empty. Start uploads folks!
> > > I hope we can have there all unofficial packages and surely backports
> > > for woody (and sarge in the future).
> >
> > Just another nut: being an unofficial archive, it's better to define
> > a rigorous convention for version numbering in order to not break
> > things for official archives. I would propose a schema like (e.g. for
> > grass):
> >
> > 5.7.0-X.dgis.stable.Y
> > 5.7.0-X.dgis.testing.Y
> > 5.7.0-X.dgis.unstable.Y
> >
> > so that all versions are correctly ordered by distribution and
> > X,Y subversioning do ensure compatibility with regular debian archive.
> >
> > X generally will start from 0 (so that an official -1 upload will result
> > always a subsequent version) and Y will start from 1. Generally
> > we would release with X equal to the version
> > already (eventually) present in debian archives for the selected
> > distribution and package. X will be 0 only for new upstream releases not
> > yet present in the main archive. I hope the schema is clear.

For me it is and I think that it sounds rather good. Unless there
are any objections I will use it for my gdal-grass upload.

Many greetings,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/