Re: [Pkg-grass-general] DebianGIS archive on alioth

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> Also, the archive is currently sadly empty. Start uploads folks!
> I hope we can have there all unofficial packages and surely backports
> for woody (and sarge in the future).

Just another nut: being an unofficial archive, it's better to define
a rigorous convention for version numbering in order to not break
things for official archives. I would propose a schema like (e.g. for grass):

5.7.0-X.dgis.stable.Y
5.7.0-X.dgis.testing.Y
5.7.0-X.dgis.unstable.Y

so that all versions are correctly ordered by distribution and
X,Y subversioning do ensure compatibility with regular debian archive.

X generally will start from 0 (so that an official -1 upload will result always
a subsequent version) and Y will start from 1. Generally
we would release with X equal to the version
already (eventually) present in debian archives for the selected
distribution and package. X will be 0 only for new upstream releases not
yet present in the main archive. I hope the schema is clear.

Comments?