Re: [Pkg-grass-general] grass 5.7.0 exceedingly old

> Steve> I am aiming to get grass 5.7.0 into debain ASAP. I will look at
> Steve> packaging/testing cvs snapshots sometime
>
> I think Neteler will agree that 5.7.0 is exceedingly old by now.

I think we all would agree that it is somewhat outdated. That's not the
point.

Yes 5.7.0 is 6 months old, but it is the youngest (only) of the 5.7
series official releases and in a colaborative downstream project of any
size it is critical that all players are working off the same page & not
a moving target. For bug solving & work-around purposes it is also nice
if all the popular outlets of GRASS binaries are not subject to the
whims of one week's CVS snapshot.

Most of the work that is going into this package will also translate to
the upcoming 6.0.0 releases of GRASS without much change, so it is not
wasted effort.

You can read through the archives and Debian bugs for the previous
discussion, justification, and consensous on this issue.

regards,
Hamish