Re: [Pkg-grass-general] DebianGis: Packaging postgis/geos

Hi Roberto,

Excellent to hear of your interest in packaging these.

I have packaged libgeos/libgeos-dev. It awaits inspection by my sponsor.
You can get the package source(geos) from http://mentors.debian.net/

There is an Intent To Package(ITP) bug filed for postgis:

But there has been no reply from the filer of that bug in more than a
year. I would post to that bug stating your intent to package it, and
make yourself the bug submitter if you get no reply for a few days. Then
close that bug in the changelog of your new package. eg.:
* Initial release (Closes: #146051)

I've tried to package postgis in the past and it was tricky because it
required you to have built postgresql beforehand. The postgresql-dev
package does not provide the proper environment in Debian. But this
should be much easier now that(I think) postgis has moved to a more
reasonable configure system. I have seen postgis packages here:
http://www.bitdaddy.com/gisdebs/index.html
http://colo.snowman.net/~sfrost/postgis/
These may be a helpful starting point.

If no one here offers to sponsor you, you'll need to subscribe to the
debian-mentors mailing list and send a Request For Sponsor(RFS) message
once your package is complete. More info at:
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
under "How do I get a sponsor for my package?" if you haven't read it
already.

Regards,
Steve