Re: building for the first time

Thanks, Matthias.

OK. I'm feeling better, now. I don't seem to have the mail-transfer set up correctly (no logs sent) ;-( I have more unexpected failures than the reference log, though).

My goal is to compile gcc, &c., and install the .debs.

Somewhat confused about optimization: the gcc doc specifies that --host be specified, yet I can only seem to set this by adding --host=blah-blah-bla-bl to the CONFIGARGS in rules2 , and things are not quite right. I also tried to add -march/-mcpu to CPPFLAGS.

I built and installed the .debs yesterday, but I came out with i586-pc-linux-gnu for my DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE (which seems to add useless reversions to defaults).

I also have ran debian/rules configure, and got HOST/BUILD for i586-pc-linux-gnu, and cross-compile TARGET or i386-pc-linux-gnu.

Am I moving too fast, and skipping some critical stage of understanding? Maybe I should just go on to compiling gcc-3.0?

The amount of planning that went into debian/*.* leaves me speechless ;-) It also lets me know that your (and others') time is limited, and that I don't want to bug you.

Just some pointers in the right direction.  Pretty, please?

Thanks, again.

Andrew 'Eager-to-Optimize' Hurt

Debian 3.0
AMD K6-2/550 (kernel 2.4.14 rebuilt for k6)
gcc-2.95_2.95.4.ds6.orig.tar.gz
gcc-2.95_2.95.4.ds6-0.011006.diff/.dsc