[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Alioth: the future of mailing lists
- Subject: [Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Alioth: the future of mailing lists
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (James Valleroy)
- Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 20:25:36 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
FYI, we will need to migrate the freedombox-discuss mailing list to
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Alioth: the future of mailing lists
Resent-Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:39:01 +0000 (UTC)
Resent-From: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:38:43 +0200
From: Alexander Wirt <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: debian-devel-announce at lists.debian.org
Dear users of alioth,
As the Alioth system is not something that we as a project have the will
and manpower to maintain in its current form, we held a sprint [sprint]
last month in Hamburg, Germany, and discussed options and the future of
the several services currently provided by Alioth.
One of those dicussions centered around the mailinglists currently
provided by Alioth on lists.alioth.debian.org [minutes].
So far, nobody is planning on providing a new, general purpose mailinglist
infrastructure that will just take over all Alioth mailinglists.
During the sprint, we looked at the set of lists and identified several
- Commit mailinglists. We think these can be retired and replaced by
notification features of modern SCV hosting platforms such as the
upcoming salsa.debian.org git hosting infrastructure.
- Discussion and support mailinglists. These might find a new home
on lists.debian.org; see below.
- Distribution lists for use in the Maintainer: field. We suggest
that, with maybe some extra code, this use-case could be well served
by the tracker.debian.org service for almost all purposes. For
larger teams, such as the Debian Perl Group, a list on lists.debian.org
might be another option.
If you currently manage a user-support or discussion list, or run one
of the big teams that would benefit from a lists.debian.org mailinglist,
please check out the migration/import hints that the listmasters provide.
A summary can be found at [lists]. The listmasters emphasize that only a
fraction of the mailing lists from Alioth are suitable for being moved to
* 2018-02-01: mailing lists on Alioth are disabled; incoming mail is
no longer accepted.
* May 2018 (with the wheezy EOL): alioth is shut down; mailing list
archives are unavailable. (A static export/dump will be provided
in some convenient location.)
the people from Alioth Sprint 2017
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 866 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature