[Freedombox-discuss] Does the software part of Freedombox be used without maintenance?

Hi,

I was told by someone involved in Debian, that Debian installations with
automatic upgrades enabled would have very low probability of having
things broken providing that:
- Debian stable is used
- No external repositories are used

However take that with a grain of salt because I'm not a Debian expert,
so I could have misunderstood something.

As I understand, Freedombox is Debian pure blend (everything is in
Debian).

If we forget about hardware issues:
- Is the software supposed to be robust enough to be used without
  maintenance?
- Can technical users shoot themselves in the foot by altering
  configurations like /etc/ssh/sshd (for instance to disable password
  based logins). Here I assume that such users are capable enough to
  do modifications that do work, and test them, and I am rather
  wondering if, with the automatic upgrades it's supposed not to break.

Hardware wise microSD are not that reliable[1], but I don't see it as
something that cannot be coped with, especially when:
- Many of the supported hardware can boot from SPI flash, NAND, or
  eMMC[2], which are more reliable.
- In the worst case scenario, only the bootloader needs to reside on
  the microSD.