[Freedombox-discuss] Joining a mesh network with BATMAN

Am Montag, den 21.11.2016, 01:18 +0100 schrieb Bastien Rocheron:
> Hello again,
>
> Something very strange happened. As I was logged in through SSH trying
> to understand this issue, suddenly my user was not recognized any more
> and I received a message close to something like: user 1000 unknown, who
> are you?
>
> Then I logged out from ssh, tried to login again but was unable. The web
> interface disappeared as well. That lasted for long enough that I gave
> up trying.
>
> After an hour or two I tried again and was greeted again by the web
> interface. The weird thing is that it had changed. I had noticed that I
> did not have the 'Disks' module in the menu and now it is there.
> So I tried immediately to create a new network interface and now the web
> interface accepts the channel and BSSID settings.
>
> I am really curious as to what happened. It is great that things get
> solved by itself but at the same time I fear automation is out of control.
Maybe during that our the unattended-upgrade was working to bring you to
0.11. This would explain you got "Disks" and can now (partly) work with
mesh.

> Now I have followed the guide again and successfully created the first
> interface for ad-hoc wireless and I can see on my router that this
> interface is connected. But the bat0 interface did not get created in
> the process and the second step is thus not possible.
>
> I have done a lsmod and realized that no batman module was loaded. So I
> first checked with modprobe that it can be loaded. Then I added
> batman-adv in my /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf and rebooted.
> I now have batman_adv loaded along with its dependencies.
> But trying again from scratch does not bring up bat0.
I am afraid, I have no experience (yet) on mesh networks. For my system
knowledge, it is still in a too early state and I rather wait for
further development.

> If no suggestion is made I will try to bring it up manually. But I guess
> this will conflict with network manager. I need to understand how it is
> managed.
>
> Cheers

Dietmar