[Freedombox-discuss] Designing the Ultimate Internet Gizmo

David Solomonoff <drsolomonoff at gmail.com> writes:

> Possibly slightly off-topic but ...
>
> I recently connected with hardware developers interested in designing
> and manufacturing a low-cost open source router for wireless mesh networks.
>
> The FreedomBox could potentially be integrated.
>
> I'm reaching out to get input on what features would be useful. The sky
> is the limit here as we haven't gotten started although we have the
> design talent and manufacturing facilities lined up.
>
> So ... something along the lines of:
>
>   * Small form factor
>   * Very low cost
>   * Low power consumption
>       o Possibly solar powered
>   * Built-in crypto
>       o Blockchain?
>   * Easily hacked/modified

Still in prototype stages, but there are running boards, and would give
you a lot of flexibility:

  http://www.rhombus-tech.net/

and specifically:

  http://www.rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/router/news/

Their mailing list is here, and includes people who are able (and
generally willing :-) ) to provide helpful advice even if you don't go
the EOMA-68 route.

Cheers, Phil.