[Freedombox-discuss] OlinuXinoLIME2 (Micro): Requesting wireless recommendation

On 2015-11-06 at 02:03:43 +0000, f wrote:
> So I'm happy to give the LIME2 board a try although I'm thinking to take
> the MICRO variant which has a 4gb NAND. Should't be a problem to flash
> that with freedombox image, should it?

yes, it is a problem: NAND support for the Allwinner chips as used on
the Olinuxino A20 boards is still not available in the mainline_ kernel,
and thus I don't believe they are usable with freedombox (at least not
in an easy way).

.. _mainline: http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

> https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-4GB/open-source-hardware

BTW, The MICRO is not a variant of the LIME2, is an older, bigger board
which has more connectors (analog audio, vga with a mechanical adapter,
easier to access GPIOs for hobbists), but is also a bit more expansive,
and it exists in two variants, with and without NAND.  The LIME2 also
has a variant which includes a NAND (A20-OLinuXino-LIME2-4GB).

AFAIK Olimex only sells a nice closed box for the LIME boards, for the
MICRO they only have a plexiglass enclosure that is open on the sides;
this may be an issue for the FBX, altought it isn't anything that can't
be solved with a visit to a local hackspace and/or a 3D printer.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''