[Freedombox-discuss] Wireless Mesh Netowrking

On 2015-10-08 at 13:25:57 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Do any mesh networking protocol work reliably today without
> administration at all?  Any of those in Debian?  With the configuration
> currently setup by the Debian package?

yes, yes, and yes, sort-of, but not really in an useful way if
standalone

The protocol I know best is batman-adv, and in this case I'm sure that
it doesn't really require administration after it has been setup and
it is in Debian.

Configuring it requires adding one simple stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces which can probably be added by scanning for
existing network interfaces, so it may be done without user
intervention.

The reason why this may not really be enought to be useful is that this
way batman is looking for other batman nodes on the local (layer 2) networks
it knows about, and providing a network interface which talks with them
and further nodes, and that's it.

This interface must be configured in a way that is compatible with the
rest of the network, and there must be a way for the user to reach
the available services.

This may also happen in a way that doesn't require intervention from the
user if there is a server elsewhere on the mesh which provides ipv6
autoconfiguration data and a DNS, but that one must be configured
by some human and probably requires administration.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''