[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 2

Sam Hartman <hartmans at debian.org> writes:

>     lee>  I think it might be a bad idea for the RPI2 to be used as a
>     lee> "freedombox". Firstly microsoft is apparently RPI's partner in
>     lee> any case and that could mean digital locks are forthcoming at
>     lee> any time.  There are other alternatives out there besides. One
>     lee> to avoid.
>
> So, the rpi and rpi2 have some really major advantages.

reads like and advertisement

> They are highly available.  As an example last time I looked I found rpi
> sellers on Amazon prime.  Meaning that I can get a ready-to-use rpi
> dropped off at my office tomorrow.  Presumably that sort of availability
> is likely to exist for rpi2.

wouldn't consider availability on amazon an advantage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#Controversies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

> That is a huge usability advantage.
> Actually being able to get the equipment without giving a new merchant
> my credit card information and with one-day shipping is a major win as
> an end user.

don't see an advantage here either :-)
privacy?

> If the rpi2 is actually comperably free to other things we're looking
> at, then let's not go out of our way to make freedom box hard.

it isn't

> If someone locks down the platform in the future, then we can
> reconsider.  Let's not borrow trouble from the future and harm our users
> today.

I really don't get it. So the only argument was buying on amazon?  It
really isn't hard to get a OSHW board. You even can buy them on amazon,
if you insist.

0 argument(s) remaining.